Here is the real deal…the big flavor of classic Southern-style banana pudding.
This has been a favorite since childhood. I prefer the scratch version as I can’t tolerate the artificial flavorings, coloring, or sweeteners found in boxes and the frozen desert topping. It only takes 15 minutes to whip up a batch from scratch and whip some real cream. It’s worth the 15 minutes to me and my family, the taste is awesome!
Ingredients for Banana Pudding
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 c. milk
- 4 separated eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla flavor
- 1 box of Nilla Vanilla Wafers
- 4 med. ripe bananas
Directions for Banana Pudding
- Mix flour, salt, and sugar; add milk slowly.
- Stir constantly over low heat until thickened.
- Stir and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks in bowl and stir into mixture slowly stirring constantly.
- Cook about 5 more minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Line bottom of casserole dish with vanilla wafers, bananas (sliced) and custard mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with custard on top.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar; whip until it peaks.
- Spread on top of custard and bake in oven at 450 degrees for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and serve