Making crispy, delicious hot wings at home is a snap if you follow these easy steps. There’s no deep-frying here, meaning less mess and more time to spend with family and friends. My family and I have made these before, and I must say they are the best oven baked chicken wings I’ve had and definitely rival the chicken wings we love at one of our favorite local restaurants.
Ingredients for Homemade Oven Baked Hot Wings
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 2 T cayene pepper
- 2 T black pepper, coarse ground
- 1/3 C Chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, sea prefered for its fine grain
- 1 large bottle of Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1 stick of butter
Directions for Homemade Oven Baked Hot Wings
- Combine dray ingredients in gallon Ziploc bag.
- Place 12 wing portions in the bag, close and shake until all portions are completely covered in the spice mixture.
- Using a sieve, shake off the excess flour-spice. I generally put 3 or 4 in the sieve at a time and shake until only a thin layer is left. By the way, I usually put a paper towel in the sink and sieve over it. When I’m done most of the flour-spice is contained on the paper towel and goes easily into the bag with the leftover flour and into the trash.
- Place wings on a standard plate and refrigerate for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Toward the end of the 30 minutes, pour about 1 1/2 T vegetable oil onto a standard cookie sheet (jelly roll pan, technically). Spread oil all over pan by brush or just by moving the pan back and forth.
- After the 30 minutes of refrigeration is finished, repeat flour-spice process for a second coating. Shake off excess and place side by side on the oil-prepared pan.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Flip the wings over once on the pan to coat both sides with oil.
- Place in the 375 degree oven and set timer for 60 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, remove briefly from the oven and turn each portion over to crisp and cook on the reverse side.
- Combine 1 bottle of Frank’s RedHot sauce and 1 stick of butter in a small saucepan. Warm until butter melts.
- After 60 minutes (total) has passed, remove chicken from the oven and let rest 5 minutes.
- During the 5 minute rest, prepare “serving dish” and “refuse dish.” Long ago, I began putting a paper towel inside a grocery/plastic bag and place it in a bread pan. Clean up is quick and easy!
- After 5 minute rest, place all wings in a metal or glass bowl. Pour sauce mixture over the wings.
Place them in the serving dish. Grab a beer or margarita and ENJOY!