Check out this apple pie…baked right in the apple! That’s pretty awesome, and extra delicious!
It’s everything you love about apple pie – the gooey cinnamon filling, the warm apples, the buttery pie crust – all baked inside an apple. So grab a fork and knife and let’s DIG IN. Enjoy, apple pie lovers.
~ Ellie, Eat Out Loud
Ingredients for Apple Pie Baked In An Apple
- 4 Large Granny Smith Apples
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1(14.1 ounce) package Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Pie Crust (use just 1 of the 2 crusts in the box)
Directions for Apple Pie Baked In An Apple
- Slice the top off each of your apples and scoop out the inside of the apple. I used a knife and a spoon to hollow out the apple.
- In a small bowl, mix the apple pie filling with the cinnamon. Spoon the filling into the well of each apple.
- Unroll one pie crust and cut it into fourths; one for each apple. Then cut each quarter into 1/4-inch strips.
- Lay strips of the dough on top of the apple.
- Then take one new strip at a time and alternate weaving it over and under the pie strips already in place. Repeat until the top of the apple has been covered.
- Trim excess pie crust around the edges with a knife.
- Place apples in a baking dish and fill with 1/4-inch of water.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust if golden brown.
- Remove from baking dish and enjoy.